Police had rejected a complaint lodged by Giri´s wife Anisha immediately after the attack. [break]
The complaint had named over three dozen people, including Youth Force (YF) Morang Chairman Parshuram Basnet. Police have decided to accept the complaint following pressure from all quarters.
Abhishek has also sent a complaint to the police through the administration of Eastern Regional Prison. The complaint reached Morang DPO on June 11, police said.
On Thursday, police accepted the complaint lodged by Anisha.
“The complaints by Abhishek and Anisha are in the process of being registered. With complaints from the two, it has become easier for the police to file a case,” said Superintendent of Police Pradumna Karki, chief of DPO Morang. “Availability of complainants and other bases support attempted murder charge,” he added.
Abhishek has named 37 people in the complaint, while Anisha has named 39. The names in the two complaints largely match.
“The first time I went to police with the complaint, a police officer told me to return with names of all the residents of Biratnagar and rejected the complaint,” Anisha said. “Though late, police have initiated the complaint registration process. I am hopeful that justice will be done.”
Previously Deputy Superintendent of Police Sahakul Thapa had rejected Anisha´s complaint and had registered a public offence case against the assailants.
Thapa is being investigated upon following reports that he has close links with Basnet. A three-member probe committee led by Senior Superintendent of Police Mingmar Lama has just two more days to submit its investigation report.
Basnet, who also masterminded the June 5 attack on Republica correspondent Khilanath Dhakal over coverage of the court attack incident, is still absconding.
Meanwhile, police presented Abhishek at Morang District Court on Monday. There was heavy security presence at the court.
Police launch probe against Durga Prasai for attempted murder d...