“In numerous discussions with the government about the disposal of monitoring-related UN assets, UNMIN has set out the relevant UN administrative procedures,” an UNMIN statement quoted Landgren as briefing to the Security Council, “It is not an option for us to hand over monitoring-related UN equipment to the government without agreement between the government and UCPN (Maoist) on the nature and form of future monitoring.”[break]
Her statement was a reply to the government that last Friday requested her office to handover monitoring equipments and logistics, documents and arms to the Special Committee that has been proposed to take charge of the UNMIN´s role after January 15. The Maoists have already contested the government request.
“I must state clearly that this letter presents positions that do not reflect consensus in the Special Committee and which appear to deviate significantly from the Interim Constitution,” she said during her last briefing to the Security Council as the head of UNMIN, “This proposal would effectively abrogate critical agreements, with potentially far-reaching consequences that should be well understood by the council. Expunging these agreements would create grave uncertainties and can be expected to erode the confidence that has been built up around arms monitoring and through the important achievements of the process so far.”
Landgren further said, “UNMIN has underlined its readiness to provide all possible support to agreed follow-on arrangements.”
In a note of warning Landgren said there had been “dramatic political gains, which were not likely to be reversed but the risks had clearly grown, citing fears among many Nepalis about the prospect of a people´s revolt, which remains an explicit Maoist threat. “There were also fears of the president stepping in, as recently called for by the vice-president, should the parties fail to find a way forward, or of an army-backed coup. Any such measures would sorely threaten peace and Nepal´s fragile democracy,” the UN Security Council reported about her briefing.
Expressing her concern over the ongoing political deadlock, she urged political parties to bring the peace process to a close satisfactorily, through the negotiated resolution of outstanding issues.
“Setbacks and challenges are inevitable but it is in the interest of the country, the region and the international community as a whole that the peace process be maintained, respected, and steered to a proper close,” she said while encouraging parties to come to a rapid agreement on the future of the monitoring of arms and armies.
Landgren noted that the peace process remained largely deadlocked following the resignation of Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal in June.
She also highlighted the work of UNMIN´s in it tenure in Nepal and said, “As UNMIN prepares to leave Nepal after four years, its work should be a source of pride to the United Nations.”
Nepal lauds UNMIN
Addressing the Security Council, Nepal´s Permanent Representative to the United Nations Gyan Chandra Acharya lauded the contribution of UNMIN to the peace process.
Acharya informed the Security Council that the government was making every effort to ensure a smooth transition from UNMIN´s work to the Special Committee formed under the Interim Constitution and comprising representatives of the major political parties, including the Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist).
Acharya further said that the peace process would reach its culmination after the reintegration and rehabilitation of combatants and the promulgation of a new constitution.
“We are working hard on both these fronts,” Acharya said adding, “If it was taking more time, it was only because of the “historic task of transformation that the new constitution will usher in the political, social and economic spheres in the days ahead.”
He further noted that the government has already made necessary preparations, with a view to making the constitutionally-formed Special Committee, "a capable body", to take over all UNMIN´s tasks seamlessly.