header banner
WORLD

Eight dead, dozens trapped in China coal mine blast

A total of 247 workers were underground at the time, of whom 201 had been brought to the surface safely as of 6:00 am on Saturday, Xinhua said.
alt=
By AFP/RSS

BEIJING, May 23: At least eight people have died and dozens are trapped underground after a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, state media reported on Saturday.



The blast occurred at 7:29 pm (1129 GMT) on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to state news agency Xinhua.


A total of 247 workers were underground at the time, of whom 201 had been brought to the surface safely as of 6:00 am on Saturday, Xinhua said.


Eight people have been confirmed dead, while 38 remain trapped underground, the agency reported, citing local emergency management authorities.


Related story

13 dead, 20 missing after China coal mine blast


President Xi Jinping urged "all-out efforts" to treat the injured and called for thorough investigations into the incident, Xinhua said.


He "emphasised that all regions and departments must draw lessons from this accident, remain constantly vigilant regarding workplace safety... and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and catastrophic accidents".


Rescue efforts were ongoing, Xinhua said.


Xinhua reported earlier that levels of carbon monoxide -- a highly toxic, odourless gas -- had "exceeded limits" at the mine.


Some of those trapped underground were in "critical condition", the earlier report said.


Shanxi, one of China's poorer provinces, is the country's coal-mining capital.


Mine safety in the country has improved in recent decades, but accidents still occur frequently in an industry where safety protocols are often lax.


China is the world's top consumer of coal and the largest greenhouse gas emitter, despite installing renewable energy capacity at record speed.

See more on: China Coal Mine Blast
Related Stories
WORLD

21 miners trapped after Xinjiang coal mine acciden...

21 miners trapped after Xinjiang coal mine accident - China Daily
WORLD

8 dead, 3 missing after central China coal mine bl...

8 dead, 3 missing after central China coal mine blast
WORLD

4 coal mine workers die of suffocation from explos...

4 coal mine workers die of suffocation from explosion in Afghanistan's Baghlan province
WORLD

11 trapped in China's latest coal mine accident

China-Mine-Blast_nagr.jpg
SOCIETY

Three youths from Khotang dead, one missing in coa...

Coal Mine-1770615401.webp