header banner

North Korea's impressive start

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, April 8: North Korea made an impressive start in the AFC Challenge Cup Group D qualifiers scoring two goals in the first five minutes to rout Sri Lanka 4-0 at APF Ground, Halchowk on Thursday.



A brace from Choe Kum Chol and a goal each from Ri Chol Myong and Pak Nam Chol gave a flying start to the Koreans in their opener but coach Yun Jong Su downplayed his side´s remarkable performance, saying, after watching the opponents, that he is expecting tough resistance from other teams as well.[break]



"I have come to the conclusion that all four teams are not weak," said Yun in a post match conference.



"We scored much less than expected because the opponents had a strong defense. In my opinion, we have problem in finishing although we are good at quick passes and surprise attack," he added.



Choe, Korea´s lone striker in the starting lineup, gave an early lead to his team capitalizing on an error of Sri Lankan keeper Viraj Asanka. Choe snatched the ball from Asanka and netted into the empty post as the keeper came out of the box to collect the ball in the 3rd minute.



Another blunder from the keeper two minutes later gifted the Koreans their second goal. Asanka could not judge the swift passes of the Koreans and left the post unattended again as midfielder Ri Chol Myong slotted in with ease after receiving a pass from Choe.



Asanka was promptly replaced by substitute goalkeeper Manjula after conceding the third goal in the 22nd minute. The Korean side playing in a 5-4-1 format netted the third goal as Pak Nam Chol sent a header into the left side of the post in a cross from Ri Kwang Hyok.



Soon after the goal, the Koreans switched to 4-4-2 format with forward Jong Li Gwan taking place of defender Kang Kuk Chol.



The new attacking setup of the Korean´s paid off only after the break as Choe scored his second and the team´s fourth goal in a corner kick off Pak Song Chol in the 47th minute to complete the rout.



However, the Sri Lankans switched to a lone defender after the interval, after having suffered in 4-4-2 formation in the first half, to prevent the Koreans from penetrating through the defense line.



Despite dominating the possession, the Koreans were unable to cause more damage to the opponents after the withdrawal of playmaker Pak, who had also played in the World Cup in South Africa last year, in the 57th minute. Coach Yun fielded seven of the eight Koreans in the team who were in the World Cup squad, including captain Ri Kwang Chon.



The Sri Lankans made their only good move in injury time with Nizam Nagur and substitute Philip playing a combination, only to see Philip´s weak shot stopped by the Korean keeper Kim Myong Gil with ease.



Sri Lanka´s South Korean coach Jang Jung said they were mentally prepared that they couldn´t win and their aim was to avoid defeat by a larger margin.

"We went to the match saying that we definitely can´t win. So I am satisfied with the result. We have to look ahead for the next match," he said.



Related story

South Korea says North Korea’s latest launches were missiles

Related Stories
WORLD

Rival Koreas test missiles hours apart, raising te...

NorthKorea_20210915154446.jpeg
WORLD

2 Koreas dismantle propaganda loudspeakers at tens...

NKorea_May1.jpg
WORLD

2 Koreas restore hotline despite North’s missile t...

1000_20211004074454.jpeg
WORLD

North, South Korea open joint liaison office in bo...

north%20and%20south%20korea.jpg
WORLD

Putin ready to meet N. Korea's Kim soon – North's...

ruskor.jpg