header banner

Moving into residential quarter nearly a year after

alt=
By No Author
SINDHUPALCHOWK, April 21: Police constable Nabin Kumar Shrestha was inside the residential block of the District Police Office of Sindhupalchowk on 25 April when the devastating earthquake hit the country. He barely managed to run out of it, but the building collapsed in front of his eyes. In the next hours, his whole team got busy in conducting rescue operation across the district.

For the next few days, these policemen worked through day and night for rescuing quake victims from the debris, without even proper arrangements for food and rest. They slept in the office's premise in open ground until the government sent tents for them. The tents were erected but these tents did not save them from heat or cold. Their situation became worse from bad during the monsoon. Torrential rain along with strong winds, gave them nightmares during the season.


Nearly a year after that tragic day, Shrestha team has finally been able to once again reside in permanent residence building. On Wednesday, Shrestha was beaming with happiness. He looked very much relieved. Construction of the new residential quarters had completed and they had moved in with their beds and other belongings.

After arranging all belongings in the new living quarters, Shrestha rested on his bed and sighed with relief. "Sound sleep had been elusive for the last one year in the tent. Seems at last I will be able to get good sleep in this new living quarters," he said.

The newly built residential building will provide residential services to 40 police personnel at the DPO. Like Shrestha, his team members were beaming in happiness while bidding farewell to their tents. "After great meal and good rest, we need to give double service to the public," he told his team mates.

The new building with a capacity to provide lodging facilities to 50 personnel was built at the cost of Rs 275,000 granted by District Development Committee and Chautara Municipality. Technical resources were provided by the police themselves which downsized the cost by Rs 120,000. Bagmati Zonal Police Chief SSP Kedarmansingh Bhandari had inaugurated the barrack on Wednesday.
 
More barracks needed

Being frontline agency, police in Nepal are busiest professionals. In lack of resources, they are however bound to do with little facilities and comfort. Post earthquake, the lack of police posts and offices in several areas have further hit them.  

The situation is worse in Sindhupalchowk which was one of the worst-hit districts. Most of the police posts here still wait repairs and many have to be rebuilt. Unlike in case of Shrestha, many policemen here are still living under tents. Police units have been providing services from tents since the last 11 months.

"We are not safe. Yet, our duty is to ensure safety of others. Despite the shortcomings, we have been doing our best to execute our responsibilities," said Bishwo Adhikari, the District Police Chief, who also lived in tents for nearly eight months.
 
There are four area police offices, 18 police posts, three temporary police posts and 31 units of police in the district. Office and residential buildings of many of these were destroyed or damaged by the quake. But rebuilding of the infrastructure is yet to start. Adhikari informed that JICA is in the process to build a concrete police post at Bahrabise at the cost of Rs 15 million.



Related story

Residential doctors return to work following agreement

Related Stories
ECONOMY

Nepal Telecom's total revenue decreases by nearly...

9OryCNdplpbnYEGr029MtUUFZBcefw4v9z2eRlA1.jpg
ECONOMY

Govt to raise Rs 31 billion internal debt in secon...

NRB_20191103114844.jpg
OPINION

Give them love and respect

Elderly-people-sits-watching-.jpg
ECONOMY

Residential house loans increased by Rs 27 billion...

Real_estate_20230215085118.jpg
POLITICS

Government is moving on towards year of achievemen...

22_20200215151220.jpg