The NC Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting held at party headquarters at Sanepa Thursday, decided to proactively engage with the Maoists to push the peace process agenda forward, after concluding that the Maoists had failed to demonstrate adequate sincerity with regard to implementation of agreements concerning the management of arms and armies. [break]
The main opposition party alleged that the Maoists had failed to cooperate in forming the High-Level State Restructuring Commission that will delineate the federal states under the new federal model. “Taking the peace process to a logical end and restructuring the state scientifically are integral parts of constitution-drafting. Dillydallying or pushing these issues to the backburner is tantamount to creating serious obstruction in the promulgation of the new constitution,” said a press statement issued after the meeting.
The CWC meeting also stressed the need to conclude the entire peace process before the promulgation of a new constitution. The meeting concluded that the Maoists must first free the country from the shadow of violence by ensuring management of their arms and combatants, returning seized properties, disbanding the paramilitary structure of the Young Communist League, managing conflict victims and implementing all agreements reached in the past with regard to the peace process.
NC leaders Dr Ram Sharan Mahat and Dr Minendra Rijal, who represent the party in the Special Committee for Supervision, Integration and Rehabilitation of Maoist combatants, had briefed the meeting about the differences they have had with the Maoists on management of combatants and their arms and the progress made so far in expediting the peace process.
The leaders duo complained that the Maoists had remained absent from many of the Special Committee meetings and failed to demonstrate sincerity in resolving issues concerning management of combatants and their arms despite agreeing to the code of conduct and other deals. They also claimed that not all combatants said to be living in the cantonments are actually present there.
Over a dozen CWC leaders including Ram Chandra Paudel, Gopal Man Shrestha, Gyanendra Bahadur Mahat, Dr Prakash Sharan Mahat, Mina Pandey, Dilendra Prasad Badu, N P Saud, Aananda Prasad Dhungana, Nabindra Raj Joshi, Dhan Raj Gurung, Surendra Raj Pandey, Min Bishwokarma and Gagan Thapa had taken part in the debate Thursday. The newly-nomimnated six CWC members were also present at the meeting.
While concluding that the basic values of democracy and the achievements of Janaandolan II were under threat, the CWC meeting also drew the attention of parties concerned to the current political situation and the activities and ´irresponsible remarks´ of leaders from responsible parties. “Nepali Congress cannot remain a mute spectator in the face of such a critical situation and challenges,” the NC warned.
The CWC meeting was cut short in view of the deteriorating condition of party founding leader Krishna Prasad Bhattarai, who is under treatment at Norvic Hospital. Some CWC members including Deep Kumar Upadhyaya and Purna Bahadur Khadka had abstained from the meeting, calling into queston its being convened at a time when Battarai is in such critical condition. The CWC meeting will resume at 11 a.m. on Friday.
krkoirala@gmail.com
NC CWC endorses party statute bringing changes in key provision...