Interacting with journalists at the Ministry of Education (MoE) on Thursday, Pokhrel said that he had initiated informal talks to convince the leaders of the agitating parties to make environment for opening schools right after the festival. The drawn out protest programs have affected around 3 million students in the Tarai districts alone.
Meanwhile, the UNICEF Nepal office has expressed concern that the future of millions of children in Nepal is being put in jeopardy with the current situation in the country.
"Children, particularly in the southern Tarai plains and the mountain districts in central and central-eastern parts of the country that were hardest hit by the earthquakes earlier this year, have been highly affected by the current situation," read the UNICEF statement released on Thursday.
"One of the most apparent impacts has been on children's access to education. Across the country, in the last six months following the earthquakes, schools have remained open for about half the number of days they were meant to be open. In the nine districts in the central and eastern plains alone, closure of schools over the last two months has affected the education of more than 1.6 million school children. In the past six months, schools in Parsa district remained open only for 5 days instead of the stipulated 122 days," the organization said.
Prioritize Rebuilding Flood-Damaged Schools