header banner

Kidnapped boy rescued from India

alt=
By No Author
NEPALGUNJ, April 24: A five-year-old boy kidnapped from Nepalgunj for ransom was released from India Saturday following intense pressure on the abductor from his own father.



Sushank Adhikari was released by the abductor, Bhagwadin Burma, 21, of Betahani-1, Santaliya, after the latter´s father Ram Chandra scolded him. [break]



“We arrested his father, mother and other family members and asked them how they would feel if their child was kidnapped. After the abductor´s father put intense pressure on him, he agreed to release the boy,” chief of Banke District Police Mahesh Bikram Shah said.



“It shows that sometimes great results can be achieved through tactful persuasion and without use of any weapons,” Superintendent of Police Shah said.



Deputy Superintendent of Police Binod Ghimire had reached Kakardari in India some 15 kilometers from Nawabgunj Saturday along with three plain-clothes policemen and the abductor´s father, without carrying any weapons and without informing Indian police. The abductor had fled leaving the boy at the house.



Sushank was kidnapped from the lawn of his house where he was playing, at around four p.m. Wednesday even as his father Narayan Prasad was at the agrovet store at the front of the house near the Nepalgunj-Kohalpur road. Ram Baran Gupta, who runs a tea shop near the agrovet store, had taken the boy to Rupaidiya by motorcycle and handed him over to Bhagwadin and Pabitra Sunar of Nepalgunj-1.



Gupta, who later returned to the tea shop, had been giving sweets to Sushank for the past few days to lure him after learning that the boy´s father was prospering with his agrovet store. “We arrested Ram Baran after learning about his shady past from different sources, and he conceded during interrogation to having carried out the abduction. The case became easier after we nabbed Bhagwadin´s father, following Gupta´s statement,” DSP Ghimire said.



The abductors had contacted the family six hours after the abduction and demanded three million rupees, and the family agreed to pay Rs 500,000 after several rounds of bargaining. That was when police succeeded in getting Ram Chandra to convince his son to release the boy. Police said that as in past cases of murder following abduction, there was a real possibility of the boy being murdered after ransom payment as the abduction was carried out by a known individual.



Sushank looked visibly pleased to meet his parents after being separated from them for four days, and was taking the congratulatory calls to his parents by well-wishers following news of his release.



Meanwhile, irate locals vandalized Ram Baran´s house and tea shop for his involvement in the abduction of a neighbor´s child. Police have also arrested Mohammad Hussein of Kohalpur-3 along with Ram Baran, but Bhagwadin and his accomplice Sunar are still at large.



Related story

Minor kidnapped two weeks ago rescued from India

Related Stories
SOCIETY

Abducted boy rescued

Abducted boy rescued
SOCIETY

UPDATE: Police rescue kidnapped minor within three...

download(1)_20201020140830.jfif
SOCIETY

Police rescue kidnapped child within nine hours

Police rescue kidnapped child within nine hours
WORLD

Haunting image of Syrian boy rescued from Aleppo d...

Syrian-boy.jpg
SOCIETY

Minor rescued from India

Minor rescued from India