The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) has backtracked from its own order issued earlier in which it had directed the KMC to cancel its agreement with Sidewalkers Traders Private Limited.[break]
The KMC and Sidewalkers had agreed to merge the ticket for Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square and Dharhara for foreign tourists. The move would make tourists visiting any one of the two sites pay for the other one compulsorily.
The agreement was signed between the KMC and Sidewalkers on March 18 this year. Under the arrangement, tourists who have been paying Rs 750 for a visit to Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square will have to fork up additional Rs 200, meant for a visit to Dharhara, whether they like it or not.
Local organizations like Sankata Club, Newar Jagaran Manch, Jhonchhe Tol Sudhar Samiti, Basantapur Tol Sudhar Samiti, among others, are opposed to the decision.
After the agitators handed over a memorandum to the CIAA on August 27, in which they have claimed that the KMC is planning to involve Sidewalkers in the Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square, the CIAA ordered the KMC to cancel the agreement and said that it would launch an investigation into the issue.
“The KMC´s decision is found to be profit oriented so the CIAA orders to cancel the agreement. They have to focus more on ways to provide better services to the public,” according to the first statement of the CIAA to the KMC.
After that the KMC also agreed not to implement the decision and revoked the deal with Sidewalkers.
Even as the agitating locals were still celebrating their victory, the CIAA´s latest decision annulling its own previous order has thrown cold water on their happiness. Issuing its new decision on the matter, the CIAA has claimed that the agitators misinformed them about the whole situation.
According to them, the agitators did not mention in their memorandum submitted to CIAA that they have filed a case against KMC-Sidewalker deal at the Supreme Court.
“We would not have issued such a statement to the Kathmandu Metropolitan City had we been told about the pending case at the Supreme Court,” said Shreedhar Sapkota, spokesperson of the CIAA. “The decision of the Supreme Court would be the final decision. Even we do not have the right or power to go against the decision.”
According to Sapkota, a judgment on the case will be passed by the Supreme Court on September 8.
Ganapati Lal Shrestha,
A member of agitating committee
We were hopeful when the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) issued an order against the KMC and Sidewalkers deal, but now we are disappointed. We were 100 percent sure that the CIAA would issue a final order in favor of our movement. The CIAA´s excuse is just an attempt to wash its hands off the case, but we are determined to save our cultural heritage of our country. If the Supreme Court also fails to issue a right judgment then we will carry out different kinds of protest programs, which will be more severe than the previous ones. We will not allow the KMC to hand over our cultural heritage to a private company.
Laxman Aryal
Chief, Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC)
We will act as per the instructions of the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) and the Supreme Court. For now, we are waiting for the decision of the Supreme Court. We have sent a letter to Sidewalkers mentioning that the agreement would not be implemented until the Supreme Court will pass its decision. I think we do not have to discuss this matter further as the case is pending at the Supreme Court. Regarding the protesters´ blame that the KMC did not follow proper methods in reaching a deal with Sidewalkers, I have no clear answers because I have just joined the KMC.
But when I studied old documents and reports, I have found that the KMC has not taken the decision alone. Other ministries have agreed with the decision of the KMC. The KMC had also taken suggestions from other stakeholders and they had supported their decision.
Desperate search for missing girls as nearly 80 dead in Texas f...