header banner

Garbage disposal to resume Saturday

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, Aug 20: Garbage disposal and collection -- which had been disrupted partly by the locals of Sisdol area in Nuwakot district and partly by landslides that blocked the road for over the last two weeks -- will resume from Saturday.



Rabin Man Shrestha, Chief of Environment Division at the KMC, said, “Garbage disposal will resume from tomorrow (Saturday).” Locals who had obstructed garbage disposal relented on Friday evening, assuring to not obstruct tippers laden with waste any longer. [break]



A deal was struck to this effect Friday evening after police released two local youths arrested on the charge of vandalizing the Sisdol-based liaison office of the KMC. “We released them after they promised to not repeat their mistakes. Following their release the local villagers have called off their strike,” Shrestha said. “We have also assured them that we will gradually address their demands.”



Locals of Sisdol area have been demanding that they be adequately compensated for the environmental damage done by the landfill site. The KMC had recently reopened Sisdol landfill site.



As garbage disposal was disrupted for almost two weeks, hundreds of tons of garbage have piled up on the streets across the valley.



Related story

Waling Municipality: Making the best out of waste

Related Stories
SOCIETY

Garbage piles up in Pokhara amid disposal dispute

NUmvHRX41mxE4nUtIiJxuBKQjs9kSu40azpIoXg6.jpg
SOCIETY

Waste collection resumes after 20 days

Waste collection resumes after 20 days
SOCIETY

Locals obstruct disposal of Valley garbage in Banc...

waste garbage.jpg
POLITICS

Politics behind garbage disposal in Kathmandu Vall...

Ravilamichhane_20220624115534.jpg
SOCIETY

Garbage disposal at Banchare Danda resumes under p...

garbagetippers_20220809125629.jpg